Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Feliz Navidades

It was about halfway (maybe a little less, in my defense) through training and we were scheduled to have a meeting with the safety and security guy from Peace Corps. He had been on leave as his wife had recently given birth to their second child. I was all set to properly bestow upon him the proper wishes for such an occasion, a very heartfelt Congratulations. I wanted to be the first one to say it (what am I in first grade?). He walked in and I blurted it out, Feliz Navidades! His cheeks flushed a little and then his face told me the ah ha went off in his brain and he graciously thanked me with a slight giggle. Of course my fellow trainees were not as forgiving, the entire room erupted into laughter, then my face went beet red. One of my friends explained that not only had I wished him Merry Christmas, but Merry Christmases! It was an honest mistake, congratulations is felicidades, I just merged the two words for Merry Christmas. What a rookie I was (hopefully this is a past tense and I have advanced at least a little past rookie status). As such, I wish you all Feliz Navidades and Happy Holidays from the bottom of my heart. May you enjoy this time with good friends, loving family and happy hearts. I have found new friends and family here in Honduras, not to replace the old ones, but to add to my classic collection.

2 comments:

Joy Banish said...

Merry Christmas Jessica! I hope you had a wonderful holiday in your new home!
Joy

Nicole and Sanjay said...

Are these Grandma's kids? Too cute! Merry Christmas frieeend