Saturday, August 30, 2008

10 days until I find out where I will be living for the next 2 years!!

Seeing how Honduras was the original Banana Republic, how could I not post a picture of me posing with a beautiful bunch. This is in Siguatapeque at a farm where we learned about sustainable farming. This farm was amazing because everything they did was integrated and nothing went to waste. They catch the rain water, purify some for drinking and use the rest for watering crops and feeding animals. They use the waste of the animals to enrich the soil for the crops (beans, vegetables, herbs and such). There were some sophisticated latrines and they showed us some planting techniques like rotating crops and using contour lines for irrigation. They demonstrated some pretty savvy farming techniques which will serve as a good base for us to take with us to our individuals sites and possibly apply.

This one is for you, Emilie´s mom! This is Emilie and I hanging out after training one day being silly. Her hair is super cute, but her bangs were getting quite long as you can see. She recently paid 10 Lempiras, or the equivalent of 50 cents to get her hair cut. The result…. as seen in the next picture, definitely worth 50 cents. Some say it looks like a wig, she thought maybe Ringo Starr or possibly the beginning stages of a mullet. Any way you slice it, it has created hours of entertainment for us at her expense, but she is such a good sport about it, after all, it is just hair, it will grow back. Some days my sides hurt from laughing with Emilie so much.











Only ten more days until we find out where we are going to be living for the next two years. Like most other things here, I am eerily calm about this. I figure wherever they send me I will be happy, find good work and get along with the people. I am hoping to be placed somewhere central in the country to be able to get to pretty much anywhere semi-easily. Stay tuned, the next time I blog it will be to reveal the name of my new home then you can Google it to see what it´s like. Thanks for following my story, I love sharing it with you.

3 comments:

Nicole and Sanjay said...

You look great friend! I can't wait to hear where you will be serving! It warms my heart to see you smiling and at peace.

Mr. Anzelc said...

I'm glad you're smiling and at peace and junk too.

agoldman said...

That photo with the bananas is great. You look just the same as when you left. We miss you. All is otherwise OK...the usual stuff. We are working hard toward the Benefit, which is only a month away. However, learning about sustainable farming sounds much more interesting. Love from all.