Sunday, November 30, 2008

We are family!

When the Peace Corps matched me up with a host family in El Porvenir I think they did so based on my picture because I really look like I could be one of them. Here is a picture of my host brother and sister at the river. The other evening my host mother and I were doing some front porch sittin when a neighbor pulled up on his bicycle to shoot the breeze. I followed most of their conversation up until the part where he gave me the ol´ lip point and asked if I was Mariza´s niece and she shook her head yes. Certainly I had misheard . When the conversation was concluded and the man drove off I asked Maritza if she had told the man I was her niece. She said yes! She explained that I looked so much like her niece Lora that lives in the states that everyone just assumed I was her. She just went with it, why, I am not exactly clear. I told her that as soon as I open my mouth people know I am not Honduran. She explains to people that I have lived in the states my whole life and I am just visiting here for a couple of years so that’s why I don`t speak Spanish very well. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone, why on earth is she telling people this? When I asked that question she said something about it just being easier and more private. I think the reason may be that she thinks they will become a target if they know a Gringa is living there because we are all filthy rich don`t you know! They were supposed to make me feel like one of the family, but I think this is a bit much! Here is my host family playing cards.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know you are aware of the problems with security in Honduras. They loved you enough to protect your identity. I know of too many gringos who have been victims of crime b/c of their US identity. Listen and learn! Also they may be victims too if someone suspects you would be willing to pay a ransom. I don't want to scare you, but Honduras can be fun, rewarding, but a dangerous place, too

Teresa said...

Hey did you get my letter with the boys pictures yet? Just curious... do you want me to send you anything for those kids you wrote about, like cloth diapers or anything else?